The Salt Spring Island Farmland Trust Society (SSIFTS) was formed as part of the implementation of the Salt Spring Island Area Farm Plan (www.plantofarm.org). The SSIFTS subscribes to the vision set out in the Area Farm Plan, that Salt Spring Island becomes a place where agriculture is a strong, vital and productive part of the local economy and is carried out in a manner that promotes and protects a sustainable community.
The SSIFTS also subscribes to the key principles outlined in the Area Farm Plan that are intended to guide the manner in which this vision will be achieved:
- Protection: support the protection and appropriate use of agricultural land on SSI;
- Education: develop an understanding and appreciation for agriculture among island residents and visitors;
- Stewardship: encourage appropriate and environmentally sensitive farm practices;
- Cooperation: establish collaborative networks of support among farmers, and between farmers and the community;
- Self-reliance: reduce dependence on imported food and other inputs; and
- Transparency: ensure open and inclusive decision-making around issues involving agriculture.
Download the whole document: FarmlandUseandRentalPolicy