Do you have a passion for farming?
Is land too expensive for you to buy?
Are you interested in pastureland, garden acreage, orchards or livestock buildings?
The goal of the Salt Spring Island Farmland Trust is to connect farmland with individuals who would like to farm. If you can afford to rent but with high land values, cannot afford to purchase, then this may be of interest to you. There are many advantages to this arrangement as it can be customized to the circumstances.
Advantages to renting:
- farm is already established
- owner has past knowledge to share
- may have existing fencing, orchards, and/or barns
- production can be increased gradually to meet markets
Advantages for the SSI Farmland Trust:
- agricultural land will be preserved for the production of local food
- there is an economic benefit to the community
- farming activities will increase to establish food security on our island
- individual with land will be connected to farmers wanting agricultural land
For more information about this program in development, please contact us at:
Salt Spring Island Farmland Trust Society
Box 738 Salt Spring Island BC V8K 2W3